Friday, July 22, 2011

Feeble Attempt

I"m very proud of myself this morning after our grocery trip. Money's been very tight lately, so saving is more important than ever. Meat is normally the kicker for us. Today is pay day though, so that meant we could head to the store. I hadn't gone since last Monday so we were running low too.

Today, I was able to get at the very least a week and a half of food (probably two weeks), including meat, for $113! Our big trips like this would normally have been closer to $200 since we were re-stocking and getting meat as well as Noah's food (which is mostly organic).

I studied the Hy-Vee ad, found a few coupons and purchased mainly generic. I have read a few articles lately about how generic food have come a long way, so I've decided to get more of them rather than go with what I/we know. Aritcle. It really helped our bill and, because I had been a long time customer of Dillons, I also remember some prices. I now know that frozen veggies, string cheese milk and eggs are cheaper there.

Last time we went to the store I picked up several whole grain blueberry muffin mixes. I guess about time I cook them up for snacks/dessert so that we don't get tempted to go get ice cream or popsicles. I did, however get two impulse items, a bag of potatoes and garlic butter.

Best purchases today:
10 pork chops- $10
10 ground beef patties- $10
Peter Pan Peanut Butter- $0.99
Sarah Lee Whole Wheat Bread- $0.99
Hunt Ketchup (24oz)- $0.69
1 roll of paper towels- $.87

Nothing too horribly special, but the meat will last us. I broke them up into smaller packages of 2/3 each. They can be cooked and cut to put in sauce for spaghetti, a creamy pasta dish or cheesy noodle dish!

So, If you're in Topeka, I highly recommend going to Hy-Vee before the Add change on Tuesday!!

And, because it's necessary, Noah's first time using water colors!


We're looking for more fun activities to do so that we can stay inside more often. It' TOO hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment