Saturday, July 7, 2012

Another weekend of fun!

Ok, not so much.

Starting last Friday (the 29th) I do weekly non-stress tests (NST) to make sure that Mason is doing well.



Last week, I was contracting but not feeling it so it's no big deal. They were far enough apart to not be a concern.

This week, that's a different story. I went in, laid down, got all hooked up and heard the thump thump of little man. I also noticed on my print out that there were some peaks showing up in the contraction area. They also came at the same time I felt a really low pressure/pain. At one point, the nurse came in and checked on the monitor and said "hey look, you're having a contraction, do you feel it?" I told her I felt a low pressure, but that was it.



The night before, I had felt the same but I thought it was maybe Mason moving or gas or something. Turns out I was contracting. A lot. When I went into the ultrasound room I was talking to the dr while he did the fluid measurements (which are still high). I asked him how everything was looking and what to start looking for as far as labor. Then, I asked him about the NST and if I was contracting. He said, "yes, you are but since you're not feeling them they aren't a concern". I said, "Well, I don't feel them on my whole belly, but I do feel them down low". His demeanor then changed.

Come to find out, I was contracting every 3-5 minutes. Because I was feeling them, it was a sign of early labor. He told me to go home, pump fluids in me and lay on my side. Sadly, that meant waking Aaron up very early and asking him to stay up while I laid down.

I was told to call and go in if I had 7 in an hour. I had 8 in 30 minutes. So, away I went. I was sent straight to labor and delivery. I had to wait 30 minutes to be called back, another 15 to be seen by the nurse and an hour before an IV was hooked up. They wanted to give me a liter of fluid to see if it would help with the contractions. THe nurse who did my IV was really sweet and said she was good. She wasn't so good.....She found the vein, it kept going away and when she stuck me, she had to dig. A lot.



I don't remember much after that because I was in and out of sleep (even woke myself up snoring. lol). Before the drifting the nurse checked me and said I was 50% effaced (thinned out), 1cm dilated and high (that's good). She had to push on the top of my belly to be able to even find my cervix. Ouch and sorry for the TMI.

After the liter of fluid I was still contracting every 2-5 minutes. Even though they were uncomfortable, they were enough to change my breathing and I had to hold my breath through some.

So it was decided to give me a shot of Terbutilane. It's to stop contractions but doesn't always work (I had two with Noah...you know how that went). After they confirmed they had stopped with the shot I was sent home to lay down for the rest of the day. I'm also now on "modified bed rest" which is just a fancy way of saying rest when you can and don't do much.

We just need him to stick in there for about a week (Over 36w is ideal) and he's good to go. They will not do anything more to stop labor but they also will not do anything to progress it unless I have cervical change. So from now on, I'm on my own as far as contractions go. I have a feeling there will be a lot of "false labor" moments going on....

Here was me Friday morning!

1 comment: