Well, Friday was a good day, hung out, had fun, you know, the usual.
Friday night, my neighbor told me a storm was coming with high winds and power outages were expected. I didn't put much stalk into it because back home, not much knocked out the power. Turns out that's not the case here.
A bit after 10pm there were two flickers and then it was out. Now, Noah sleeps with a fan and his fish filter on, so he woke up right away. The storm and lack of his "white noise" scared him. So, we picked him up, stripped him down (no air flow) and brought down all our bedding and candles.
Noah slept on the sofa, I was scrunched up in the corner and Aaron slept on a comforter on the floor. Thankfully I downloaded a white noise app shortly before the power went out. Noah and I didn't get to sleep until somewhere after midnight but Aaron knocked out around 11. I woke up all throughout the night and mostly woke up at 3am then up for good at 5am. Noah got up at 5:15.
I figured if it was going to stay out, we should get some supplies. Noah and I ventured to Lowes at 5:50ish and found many down trees/limbs blocking roads. You could tell some had worked sometime during the night to clear the main roads. It was pretty bad. Serveral lights were out, the gas stations near us along with the CVS and Safeway were out.
When we got to Lowes, we grabbed two battery powered fans, a charcoal grill, charcoal, a lighter and a few D-cell batteries. After that we went to Giant, the only nearby grocery store with power, to get some "necessities". We grabbed some bottled water, gallon water, watermelon, fruits, ice and a small cooler.
I feel proud of myself for going when I did, my neighbors said everything got cleared out about an hour later.
We went out for lunch and found that the places we wanted were packed or out of power so we ran to Ihop and only had to wait a few minutes for a seat. We did, however, overhear that gas was running out at gas stations (makes sense since we saw a two block wait line for one). So we grabbed our food to go, went and squeezed in to get gas and went to Lowes for lighter fluid and batteries.
At Lowes we decided to get a small propane grill, we suck at using charcoal, and found out they were out of batteries. I went to Target later to get a pump for our air bed and found out the city is pretty much out of D-cells.
About 7:15 I was going over to ask a neighbor if they knew where some D batteries where, but saw another outside who just got home. She said that just up the road got power back (2 gas stations, CVS and Safeway) so I jumped in the car and , literally, raced to CVS since I knew Safeway was out of batteries. I got there just in time, grabbed 8 packs of 4 D-cells that were also BOGO free!
I came home and Aaron and I were trying to figure out how to pass the time. After chilling in the car for a bit we went in to play cards. About 9:15 the power came back on! Such a relief.
I'm in a lot of pain today from swelling in my feet, ankles and hands, but we survived yesterday. Noah is still healthy despite getting a bit overheated and Aaron's getting on the schedule he needs to for the next to weeks.
So yesterday, we went to Lowes, Giant, Ihop, Gas station, Lowes, Target, Giant, Safeway and CVS.
I'm pooped. Lol
So glad the power got back on quickly! *hugs*
ReplyDelete