Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Obligatory Birthday Post

You knew it was coming, a look back at the day I had my little man. My miracle and the light of my life.

Three years ago, I was in labor with Noah. The day before my water broke, though I didn't know it. I had a small tear, so not much fluid came out and therefor I didn't think my water broke. I went to the hospital about 10pm and they confirmed it was my water and I'd be having him in less than 24 hours.

My world changed with that one sentence.

I was put on medications for induction, antibiotics and moved to the hospital with a NICU. I waited and waited for the contractions to kick in. When they did, boy did they ever. That pain was like nothing I'd felt, but thankfully nothing I couldn't handle. I had a plan to have a natural birth. A natural birth was done, but not with the exception of one dose of meds to allow me to relax some (through my IV).

Noah was facing the wrong way, and for the life of me I can't remember which way is the wrong way, but that's what he was. Lol. He had a hard time coming out and his heart started to slow with the contractions induced by the Pitocin.

Noah got stuck so I had to be cut, twice, (sorry if that's TMI for you) to allow him to come out. He also had to get the vacuum put on his head to assist him. Sadly, the vacuum fell off three times before it worked and my poor baby had a huge bubble on the back of his head.

Now, I don't remember how many people were actually in the room, I've been told 8 or 9, but my eyes were closed or focused on the person coming out of me. I do know that my midwife was next to the OB working on me and there were two nurses and a NICU pedi working with Noah. My regular nurse was blocking my view of Noah. I still hate her for that. So I never actually saw him naked after birth. I only saw what they brought me, my little bundle, clean and wrapped.


My 5lb 14oz, 18inch, 6 week preemie was born at 1:30 that afternoon.

He was with me long enough to get a kiss and "I love you" before he was off to the NICU. Aaron says his first APGAR was a 5, but that was another thing I don't remember.


After he was gone, Aaron went with him, I was brought lunch, taken to the bathroom and saw my dad (mom was with me during birth). It was about 2 hours before I finally got to see my baby.


The first thing I saw was a large plastic box with a tiny doll like figure inside. My angel was resting on his belly because his head was too sore. They had taken off his umbilical cord to get blood access and give him meds. They were also preparing to put a PICC line in him and an IV. Knowing what they'd be doing hurt me beyond belief.

His course there was 13 days and I didn't get to hold him until he was 4 days old. After we had gone home.


Our being home without him is a haze. It is a blur of eating fast food, barely remembering to shower and taking trips to see him. We were allowed to help take his temp, change his diaper and eventually bathe him.


There's so much more that happened there,

Like his XRay trip, or MRI or CT scan, I can't remember which it was.


Him being under the blili-light....and on it...



The first time he got to wear clothes


His first bottle feeding


The first time I got to try to nurse him (I'll spare the picture of that one)

His firs time in a "real" bed


Our first family photo


And finally, our first night with him (even though it was at the hospital) leading up to the amazing morning he came home.





Today is also someone else's birthday. My grandpa. When I first learned Noah would share his birthday, I was upset. I didn't want them to have the same birthday because it was Grandpa's birthday. Now, I'm happy they do (my feelings changed long ago). It's a very special part continuing on. Noah loves seeing pictures of his great grandpa and hearing about him. Hopefully, he'll learn to do some of the amazing things grandpa could. Especially when it comes to making bierocks ;-)



Today I'll also be adding more photos to the "photos from the past" protion. You can get to it by clicking the tab at the top (or the orange part in the last sentence)

1 comment: