Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A new leaf

Well, a new budget. Both are green. That works right?

We've decided to, partly, follow Dave Ramsey's envelope system. I say partly because three things will remain on debit card use. Gas (because I can't get out of the car with both kids every time), my co-op orders (because they're only online) and Aarons work travel expenses (because they don't take cash).

We've never really had a budget before, just looking at the acct and saying "ok we can afford this after bills are paid" or "no spending!!". I don't feel comfortable putting out certain numbers, but the envelopes we're doing are (per month) groceries (250), Emergency Fund (50), Retirement (100), College Fund (50), Eat Out (170), Clothing (100), Gas (180), Work Travel (100), Car Repair (50), Dentist (10), Tags & Title (25), Pet Supplies (5), Homeschool Supplies (30), Aaron's Pocket Money (100), My Pocket Money (100), Co-Op (100), Entertainment (150), Savings (200).

We fully expect to not be all that good at it in the beginning, but we're going to try. Aaron wont be the one having problems, it'll be me. I go out a lot, I spend a lot. A good chunk is groceries, but another good money suck is Target and Amazon (my greatest weakness).

Today was good though, I returned 8 mason jars to Michaels and used that money to get hte spray paint we need for a school craft and a pair of scissors.

Hopefully I can do a weekly update at the end of each week. Since the month started on a Monday (as well as our budget), I'll try to update Sunday evenings.

Till then, check out this wreath I made!

1 comment: