This week the challenge was to build balloon powered race cars. I warned the parents this would require a lot of involvement from them, and it sure did. I would like to think the kids had a blast though. When they came in, I had bags put out with 4 wheels, a base, and a piece to hold the balloon. I told them they had 5 minutes to get whatever pieces they wanted to make their car unique and then 10 min to put it together. After that, I told them to find a friend and race them. They went all over racing, two dads got into it and raced a bunch, and some kids just wanted to play with balloons. In the end, I had everyone line up on a wall and we did one big race. It was hilarious. Some cars didn't go at all, some went a bit and a couple went pretty far.
We got an iPod, in part for the boys, but also for LEGO group. This way kids could take pictures of their own creations. I saw how much Noah and Mason loved taking photos and had pride in their creations, so I knew other kids would too.
This also helps prevent faces from being in the shot so I feel comfortable having the photos on here.
After the cars was "free build" where kids could make whatever they want. My only rule is that when they take a piece and are done with it, they have to put the pieces in a bucket rather than back with other pieces.
It worked out well that Aaron was home because the night before I found out the coupon lady was teaching a class in the room we were slotted for. So, stressing about that, I wanted to get into the office early to talk to them to see what could be done. Come to find out, they were in a meeting from 8-9 and our group was supposed to start at 9. So I showed up at 8:15 to set up and talk to the office people. I went home and waited until 8:35 and went back. I got there as two others showed up who work there. While I was in there, two families showed up for group. Then Aaron came with the boys at 9. While I was setting up. It was madness. Thankfully the parents who come are amazingly helpful and assist with setting up or cleaning. I promise one day, they'll show up and it'll all be ready......one day.











No comments:
Post a Comment